As an enthusiastic and professional individual who has enjoyed working in a range of different environments I have in my most recent roles utilised my excellent interpersonal skills in supporting individuals on to and through training programs. I have gained the trust and respect of colleagues and clients through excellent communication skills and willingness to take on challenges and support them. A proven line manager who can work to deadlines I consistently use my own initiative and regularly demonstrate high levels of motivation. I possess an ability to create new, manage existing and develop relationships in a professional environment and am now seeking to apply these skills and qualities to a fresh challenging role.
Babcock International Apprentice Support Officer Sep 15 – Present
Employed within the Support Services Division on the Network Rail Apprenticeship contract to support, mentor and coach engineering apprentices on the apprenticeship scheme.
- Through conducting regular one to one review and support meetings apprentices have an opportunity to raise any issues or concerns and is an opportunity to track the progress of the apprentices.
- Delivered in line with agreed KPI’s detailed reports and reviews ensuring the information is both correct and relevant to the individual involved.
- Supporting apprentices with the residential element of the programme ensuring support is available if they are struggling with this element of the scheme.
- Act a pastoral support and mentor to apprentices to ensure the correct support mechanisms are in place should any outside factors have an impact on them completing the programme.
- Support the apprentices with issues regarding the academic aspect of the apprenticeship which could include signposting/supporting the apprentice to gain additional learning support if required.
Sparsholt College Hampshire Apprenticeship Liaison Officer Nov 13 – Sep 15
Employed within the Commercial Services Department to support and recruit both employers and individuals onto and through apprenticeship programs. In this role I:
- Pro-actively marketed employers in relation to apprenticeships and worked with them to decide if an apprentice was suitable for their organisation. Account managed employers with apprentices and supported the progressing of existing apprentices on to the next level of apprenticeship.
- Supported employers in the recruitment phase of taking on an apprentice which includes writing/receiving job descriptions, uploading vacancies to job boards and forwarding suitable candidates to employer, undertaking Health and Safety checks and enrolment of apprentices.
- Tracked vacancies and sifted candidates as they applied by initial telephone interviews and application forms. Conducted face to face interview and assessments of candidates whilst providing effective support, advice and feedback to them.
- Attended networking and careers events where both employers and candidates were present and were engaged in discussions surrounding apprenticeships.
- Conducted regular reviews in line with agreed KPI’s ensuring both apprentices are progressing at a pace where they will finish the program on time and to the right standard.
Careers Development Group Employment Adviser Feb 13 – Aug 13
Employed to provide Information, Advice and Guidance to customers enrolled on to the Work Programme in Portsmouth and through effective diary management ensured they actively participated. In this role I:
- Effectively advised customers on improvements to their CV, cover letter, job searching activity and all actions to ensure positive steps were taken back in to employment.
- Supported customers in creating accounts and searching on job board website and supported them in applications for specific roles.
- Communicated with customers on a regular basis to ensure they were informed of potential vacancies, available courses and in-centre activities and referring customers to external agencies for additional support as required.
- Conducted group sessions with customers to support them identify, search and apply for vacancies, improve their IT skills and with any other area of job searching activities
Forces Recruitment Services (Surrey) Director & Owner Sep 11 – Feb 13
Managed and ran my own Recruitment Consultancy which consisted in the overall decision making process for the business. As the director I:
- Was responsible for overall financial control of my business including invoices, VAT, Corporation Tax, Cashflow and all the general administrative and budgetary tasks that come with running a small business.
- Had overall control of the business and recruitment process. From winning and building new partnerships, managing existing clients and candidates to the promotion of the business through various channels including magazine and newspaper coverage, social media, blogs/sites, email campaigns, presentations and networking events.
- Worked directly with employers on identifying and selecting suitable candidates for their vacancies and acted as third party between client and candidate up until the candidate has started employment.
- Extensively used computers and computer software including individual and multi posting job board advertising sites, job boards for candidate search and selection, Microsoft applications, customer relationship management software and bespoke candidate databases.
BAE Systems Surface Ships System Support Engineer Aug 09 – Sep 11
Employed as a member of an Engineering Team in Portsmouth Naval Base whose responsibility was to ensure HM Ships Weapon Systems defects were maintained and rectified as required. In this role I:
- Lead and managed teams and supported System Engineers in the diagnosis, rectification and commissioning of a variety of different weapon systems.
- Liaised with customers on a regular basis regarding the reporting, repair and stores required for equipment defects and produced detailed equipment reports.
- Was entrusted with the maintenance and control of documentation & publications for area of responsibility, including planned maintenance, COSHH, Health & Safety, Defect rectification & reporting and Risk Assessments and prepared such documentation for inspection.
- Volunteered as a member of a Charity committee assisting in the research, support, organisation and execution of events including a highly successful inaugural Charity Christmas Ball, photography competition and supported local events with a company stall.
Royal Navy Petty Officer Weapon Engineer Feb 97 – Aug 09
Throughout a 12 year career in the Royal Navy employed in a number of roles including team member & leader, instructor, deputy building manager, trainer, coach and mentor and through training and development I gained promotion to team leadership status. Throughout this time I:
- Acted as a deputy building manager which entailed re-organising and managing building files, co-ordinating and conducting fire drills and liaising with external contractors.
- Was recognised as an equipment expert and organised and implemented work maintenance schedules for complex equipment whilst advising senior management on the technical state of equipment and deputised in their absence.
- Lead and managed several teams in wide variety of environments whilst maintaining an excellent level of morale through communication and motivational skills.
- Produced detailed reports including personnel appraisals, defect and rectification reports and enabled junior team members to advance their careers through training and mentoring.
- Acted as Social Secretary and Bar Manager on club/mess committees and led the organisation of fundraising activities including a highly successful Mess dinner on board HMS Victory. Undertook management of personnel & bar accounts and stock control & rotation and passed regular detailed senior officer audits.
IOSH Managing Safely – Oct 14
Certificate in Sales and Maketing – Jul 09
Foundation Degree of Engineering in Electronic Engineering – Nov 06
Institute of Leadership & Management Level 3 – First Line Management – Feb 07
NVQ Level 2 – Engineering Maintenance – Dec 05
NEBS Management – Introductory Certificate in Management – Mar 01
IGCSE in Mathematics – Jun 04
City & Guilds 236 (Part 1) in Electrical Installation – Jan 96
The majority of my spare time is spent with my family. My partner and I have 4 children between us and we enjoy short family breaks and generally going out together and enjoy most sports on a social basis. I have enjoyed completing charity events including the Marie Curie 5km swim, The Great South Run, and Dragon Boat Racing and enjoy supporting a local charity shop.
- Full UK car and Cat C licence
- LinkedIn Profile – http://www.linkedin.com/in/anthonybrown78
- Currently hold 2 x Enhanced Learning Credits from my time in the Royal Navy which can be used for progression courses.